When you’re looking at your sales career, there are a lot of outside forces at play. Which is a lot like sailing – the wind, current, tides, boat traffic (pleasure & commercial), and we haven’t even mentioned where you’re trying to get to.
What outside forces
do I need to contend with?
My experience shows there are four main categories I need to consider when answering that question for myself.
Personal “What Are”
- all the fun things that will be a distraction?
- the monumental events that are going to take place this year?
- my current “happenings” that are stressing me out?
- am I going to make goal?
- will my boss react to _________?
- can I get around this obstacle?
- are the players I have to answer to?
- am I worried about judging my performance?
- is helping or hindering my progress?
Prospect & Customer “Why”
- don’t they call me back?
- am I spending my time on this account?
- haven’t I earned their trust?
These are some examples for you; your personal questions might be different. Take a moment to figure out What outside forces do I need to contend with? Then take the appropriate action.